Mike Kojima posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 9:13 PM
So far we have tried some easy bolt ons like a manifold spacer, headers, high flow cats and exhaust on our 350Z all with good results. Naturally at this point it is time to change camshafts to get more bolt on power out of our VQ35DE engine. One thing that discourages many people from going this route is that changing cams on a VQ engine is quite a big job. Having two banks of cylinders and 4 cams is a lot of the reason. It's not super hard technically but it requires at least a couple days of wrenching and some care has to be taken to avoid problems.
Time consuming or not, camshafts are the next logical progression in the evolution of Project 350Z so we asked our friends at Jim Wolf Technology or JWT to provide us with some of their excellent C2 cams. We chose the C2 because they were probably the biggest practical camshafts that would work in the stock bottom end engine.
posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:39 PM
Hopefully, you've been keeping up with the steady progress of transforming my STurdteen into a reliable and worthy demo drift car. Powered by an SR20DET and with all of the new goods going into this build (see the new Turbonetics setup I went with here), I needed an adequate engine management system to handle engine control duties. The search for the perfect EMS didn't last very long because I soon discovered what I consider the best solution out there - the AEM Infinity Plug and Play EMS.
posted on Monday, May 16, 2016 2:13 PM
In Part 1 of Project STurdteen we discussed some of the future plans of the car as a purpose-built entry-level drift car that can be used for competitive purposes in ProAm. One of the big issues I experienced previously had to do primarily with heating and cooling issues. We decided to go with a complete Koyorad cooling system, which incudes a radiator and oil cooler. We also included a power steering cooler to address steering pumping up issues \i had experienced in the past once the car would get hot, which is a common complaint in many drift cars.
posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:27 PM
A few years ago, this ridiculous trend swept the drifting community after the introduction of what us drifters call a “missile car”. During a track day a few months ago I was doing some tandem runs in my missile car and ended up getting hit after I spun out and went off course by the follow car.
If I hadn’t already proved it to you after Part 1, drifters destroy everything – side skirts, fenders, doors, bumpers, and more. Unlike other forms of racing, it isn’t necessarily about the lightest, most aerodynamic parts – it’s about the most durable parts! For that reason, I decided to go with KBD Body Kits, owned by parent company American Plastic Technologies.
Mike Kojima posted on Sunday, March 06, 2016 4:08 PM
Rathyna Gomer is MotoIQ's sales manager but in her other life she is a Pro-Am drifter. We are in the process of rebuilding her 350Z competition car and due to its complexity the process is taking a while. In order for her to have a ride for the 2016 season, we decided to do some upgrades to her practice car, an S13 with the venerable SR20DET. For a practice missile car, her S13 is pretty decently built but since it is a missile car, it has seen better days. The car has been worked over by a conveniently placed practice lot pole and by doing tandem with a random on a drift day. That and Rathyna's habit of doing body repairs by backing her car into the wall at balcony has left the old S13 in a state of ugly.
Sarah Forst posted on Monday, November 16, 2015 2:36 PM
SEMA is an absolutely insane whirlwind of auto nocturnal emission that leaves most enthusiasts gobsmacked and run down. Of course we wouldn't want you all to miss the action! Live vicariously through our SEMA-ntics and check out all the action without any of the sleep deprivation.
Mike Kojima posted on Monday, August 24, 2015 1:02 PM
In our last edition of Project 350Z we started to assemble our VQ35DE and got the bottom end pretty much done. Now we finish off our engine and take it to Church Automotive Testing to get our factory ECU tuned using the UpRev Osiris tuning package.
Mike Kojima posted on Sunday, August 09, 2015 2:33 PM
When we last left off on Project 350Z, we were in the process of assembling a group of parts to enhance the durability of our project car. As we stated before we were not looking at building the ultimate naturally aspirated VQ35DE but simply a more durable one that could hold up to a life of track days, drift days and stunt driving practice days. If we could get a little more power out of the engine while we were in there, all the better.
Chuck Johnson posted on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 8:37 PM
In our last update, we left off having just set a new Bonneville H/PS land speed record at 184.1 MPH. On the second of the two record passes, Project 240SX LSR and its 600 plus horsepower 1.5 L engine, had recorded a fastest speed of 191.9 MPH. With more than enough power on tap, our goal of pushing the record to over 200 MPH seemed well within reach. Did we get the coveted infamous red hat? Or did we just spin trying? Read on to find out.
Mike Kojima posted on Monday, July 13, 2015 6:26 PM
Our Project Z was a pretty good example of what a naturally aspirated VQ35DE could do. However, our VQ had become old and tired. It was worn out from a lot of minimal maintenance street miles, track days, drift and professional stunt driving practice and had started to develop some rod knock. Luckily we were able to stop before serious damage to the engine internals resulted. However an engine rebuild was in order.
Our objective in building this engine is not to build the most awesome NA VQ possible or even to get tons more power, but rather to perform an economic build to address some of the VQ's durability shortcomings, replacing stock parts when necessary with some good quality aftermarket bits.