MotoIQ Forums
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Big J  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:06:10 AM(UTC)
Big J

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Suspension102_Members, Welcome_Members

I cut my teeth on bikes, turned my first wrenches, busted my first knuckles.

I've always owned old bikes. Cheap or free, neglected and abandoned. Growing up motorcycles were taboo. My mom doubted my ability to save money enough to make the wager if I saved up I could get a bike. She didn't know, and I didn't know either, that people gave them away. A few bikes in, at 14, I ended up with an 81 GS1000, a freebie tucked away in a shed. "If you can get it home, you can have it."

The only bike I have now is a $350 Craig's list disaster 81 Suzuki GS650. It's not awesome, but it gets me in the breeze.

Big J  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:41:34 AM(UTC)
Big J

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Suspension102_Members, Welcome_Members

In all it's factory Harley wannabeness.

UserPostedImage

Not quite a basket case

UserPostedImage

Through various stages of spray paint applications and wrench turning

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Big J  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:43:58 AM(UTC)
Big J

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:47:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Big J  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:45:44 AM(UTC)
Big J

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:50:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Big J  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 1:57:42 AM(UTC)
Big J

Future plans: find a Suzuki Katana 600 or 750 donor bike. Preferably 750.

The steering neck bearings are the same, dual front brakes, chain drive, 6 speed, adjustable suspension, mono shock rear, more power, revs, parts options, most of the stuff this bike lacks.

Later on, find an oil cooled gsxr750 motor and dump the katana motor.

Whole bikes are popping up in the $300-700 range.
smartbomb  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 4:15:04 AM(UTC)
smartbomb

Groups: Administrators, Editors, MotoIQAdmins_Members, Registered, Registered Users, SocialGroup_Admin, Subscribers, Suspension102_Members, Welcome_Members

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
That is super nice! I need to post about my RZ350 resto mod project!
mekilljoydammit  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 4:58:02 AM(UTC)
mekilljoydammit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Agreed! And RZ350 sounds sexy... after going to a vintage bike race around here I've been toying with the idea of finding an older RD, but ... too many projects already.
Big J  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:26:47 AM(UTC)
Big J

Thanks.

It turned out pretty good. I've got less than a grand in it, including the bike, tag, registration, new tires and odd and ends. Rustoleum appliance epoxy, best paint in a can. Lays on super smooth, minimal prep, is super f'up proof, sticks to anything, and is super hard. No sanding, no buffing, just paint bombed and waxed. $5 a can.

Hopefully I can find a donor bike soon and turn the wick up with some parts swap-a-roo. I've never owned a shaft bike, it's weird.

Edited by user Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:30:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Big J  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:44:00 AM(UTC)
Big J

Originally Posted by: mekilljoydammit Go to Quoted Post
Agreed! And RZ350 sounds sexy... after going to a vintage bike race around here I've been toying with the idea of finding an older RD, but ... too many projects already.

Do it!

Bike projects *can* be quick, easy, and cheap compared to car projects. Plus, they don't take up much room. Insurance is $75 for a year, 40 mpg is a plus.
Andrew Valmonte  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 9:11:10 AM(UTC)
Andrew Valmonte

Originally Posted by: Big J Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

That is a BEAUTIFUL restoration! Great job!
Big J  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2015 9:17:17 AM(UTC)
Big J

Update:

Since it's tax return season, it seems more bikes pop up on Craig's list.

The finds:

A frame w/ swingarm same year and model as my bike for $0.99. Yes 99 cents. This keep my bike together while I fit the motor, fab mounts, determine the real feasability of the project and will ensure a higher probability of finishing the project. Score. I should be able to put together a roller before I even need to pull my bike out of service.

1993 Suzuki Katana 600 for $150. It's not a 750, buts that's ok, because where a 600 will fit so will a 750. The 750's come in two flavors; Katana and GSX-R, that's the eventual goal.

I'll keep this thread updated or I might start a project thread.
Big J  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 5:27:20 AM(UTC)
Big J

Mock up frame is home. Getting the bike in a few hours.
Big J  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 9:23:00 PM(UTC)
Big J

Got the bike for $75
Big J  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 05, 2015 4:46:43 AM(UTC)
Big J

Triple tree and front forks, brakes etc. bolt right up. The bikes share the same bearings.

Motor fits in frame much easier than the original motor. Fab up some mounts and it'll be good to go.

For now I may just run the dual shocks and swing arm and keep the bike looking old school. Going to the mono shock would require moving the pivot foreward to keep from making the wheelbase 2.5 - 3 inches longer.
Big J  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 7:40:22 AM(UTC)
Big J

not much of anything cool yet. The front end was a bolt on, and the motor fits the frame. Surprisingly the exhaust/headpipe fits the frame with downtubes, it wasn't the factory Katana exhaust. Searched around and figured out it's a first gen GSXR750 pipe. So nothing to buy there, and the pipe is an upgrade on the 600 motor. It's nice to have scored a spare frame to do mock up.

converting the rear suspension to the mono shock setup won't be too bad, just some general fab work. The swing arm is about 2.5" longer than what's on there now, but the motor is about the same distance shorter. So the pivot need to be pushed up to take out the distance. I want to keep it short and I don't mind a bike that will pull the front up.

Yes, my garage is a mess. Just finished remodeling a bathroom and the snow finally melted and whatever other excuses I can't think of right now.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, March 13, 2015 7:44:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Big J  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 11:12:54 PM(UTC)
Big J

Anyone have a wideband/logger sitting around collecting dust? Just tucked away somewhere unloved that would love to find a new home? I'm in the market for one.
Big J  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 11:14:31 PM(UTC)
Big J

CV carbs take voodoo to a new level.
Big J  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:10:23 AM(UTC)
Big J

Anyone else into bikes?
Big J  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 11:43:46 AM(UTC)
Big J

Nothing major, just a little mock up. If I had a welder, it'd be done. Got to keep dancing around the pole before I pick one up.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
jasonnorin  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 11:44:49 AM(UTC)
jasonnorin

Quite a mean looking bike, bro. Classic bikes are also my preferred rides. Their style never fades as time passes by. You can see the beauty and craftsmanship that has been bestowed on each units. Each one of them are true works of art.

Edited by user Sunday, July 26, 2015 11:53:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Freelance online formula one news writer and editor.