MotoIQ Forums
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twistedneck  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:53:34 PM(UTC)
twistedneck

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shaun AED tunes my NA Mustang Coyote engine for the street on E85 and I was going to ask him for a road race tune that would dial back some power. However i'm not sure what the best path is for a road race tune that will allow me to make the engine live longer and happier with the high duty cycle of road racing.

Pulling timing seems obvious but then it might cause the exhaust to run hotter.

Making the motor rich could also work but then I risk fuel in the rings, cracked ring lands, scored cylinders, especially under high rpm closed throttle deceleration when all that vacuum gets created.

Should I leave it alone? Also I rarely get E85 except for July but my car is actually tuned on real 85% E85 so its potentially running E70-E85 most of the time.

Help appreciated fellow Normally Aspirated people.

Dusty_Duster  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 4:54:14 AM(UTC)
Dusty_Duster

Groups: Editors, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Welcome_Members

Why do you need the power dialed back? I would just focus on a linear throttle response, which many aftermarket tunes do poorly.
Project Mustang 5.0 (Grey)
BBRTuning  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 7:52:47 AM(UTC)
BBRTuning

Richening the mixture a few tenths of an AFR at full throttle, higher RPM would be your best bet. You can run E85 pretty rich without signifcant power loss. You'd have to be way too far rich to do any damage to the engine or have to worry about washing the rings. What AFR/Lambda is it at now, WOT at high RPM? You could safely richen it into the high 11's AFR (.79 - .81) and still be far away from the point of causing damage or long term wear. Also, richening the mixture will have a similar effect as lowering the ignition timing, delaying peak cylinder pressure slightly in the engine's cycle.
thanks 1 user thanked BBRTuning for this useful post.
twistedneck on 2/20/2015(UTC)
twistedneck  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 10:27:12 AM(UTC)
twistedneck

Originally Posted by: Dusty_Duster Go to Quoted Post
Why do you need the power dialed back? I would just focus on a linear throttle response, which many aftermarket tunes do poorly.

Dusty_Duster I don't need the power dialed back i'm just trying to make sure I keep the motor cool with the propensity of the Coyote engine to heat the oil at high rpm, I think like many piston jet aluminum engines they can get hot at high load / high rpm. I have a new tune I have not yet installed with a much better part throttle map for my ridiculous oversized throttle body. I'll make sure to get that loaded.

Originally Posted by: BBRTuning Go to Quoted Post
Richening the mixture a few tenths of an AFR at full throttle, higher RPM would be your best bet. You can run E85 pretty rich without signifcant power loss. You'd have to be way too far rich to do any damage to the engine or have to worry about washing the rings. What AFR/Lambda is it at now, WOT at high RPM? You could safely richen it into the high 11's AFR (.79 - .81) and still be far away from the point of causing damage or long term wear. Also, richening the mixture will have a similar effect as lowering the ignition timing, delaying peak cylinder pressure slightly in the engine's cycle.

BBRTuning I think its at 0.85 now at WOT high rpm (was lower with the 93 tune). I'm sure Shaun also has a strategy for handling the road racing but have not enlisted his help yet but I will. Thanks for the feedback.

I guess my main question is how do I protect against knock once she gets hot.

Dusty_Duster  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:41:45 AM(UTC)
Dusty_Duster

Groups: Editors, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Welcome_Members

I would focus on cooling modifications before messing around with a perfectly good tune. Upgrade the radiator to the Mishimoto unit first of all. Add the GT500 cooling fan if you spend a lot of time idling in the pits. Get a good oil cooler.

Also, don't use the stock BOSS 302 oil cooler (the one that goes between the block and oil filter). All that thing does is heat up the oil and reduce the cooling capacity of the radiator. Ford Racing has an external oil cooler that is used on the BOSS 302 R/S that is a very nice unit.
Project Mustang 5.0 (Grey)
thanks 1 user thanked Dusty_Duster for this useful post.
twistedneck on 2/24/2015(UTC)
twistedneck  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 5:46:02 AM(UTC)
twistedneck

I would focus on cooling modifications before messing around with a perfectly good tune. Upgrade the radiator to the Mishimoto unit first of all. Add the GT500 cooling fan if you spend a lot of time idling in the pits. Get a good oil cooler.

Also, don't use the stock BOSS 302 oil cooler (the one that goes between the block and oil filter). All that thing does is heat up the oil and reduce the cooling capacity of the radiator. Ford Racing has an external oil cooler that is used on the BOSS 302 R/S that is a very nice unit.

I agree Dusty, i'm going for the Cooltech oil cooler first with thermostat. its a little bit better and has more cooling potential than the nice Ford racing, both are Setrab.

I'm also changing from Mobil 1 5w-20 to Redline 10w-30 race oil for more ZDDP, but I've heard that the thicker oils run much cooler than the thin stuff.. possibly less work applied to the thicker fluid or less heat transfer i'm not sure either way I've got piston jets to worry about so 40-50w are not in the cards.

smartbomb  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:50:22 PM(UTC)
smartbomb

Groups: Administrators, Editors, MotoIQAdmins_Members, Registered, Registered Users, SocialGroup_Admin, Subscribers, Suspension102_Members, Welcome_Members

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Mishimoto, yuck.