MotoIQ Forums
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jasonrg77  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:12:09 PM(UTC)
Jasonrg77

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Welcome_Members

Greetings,

My vehicle is the turbocharged 2010 model. When I open the hood I see straight through to the ground and can see both the intercooler and radiator. It would seem to me that the stock setup would be more efficient if the air was required to go through the intercooler and radiator. I also think an oil cooler would be useful if I do track days with this car, which is a specific reason why I purchased it.

I plan to use points from these three articles:
http://www.motoiq.com/Ma...000-DIY-Vented-Hood.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/Ma...dboard-aided-design.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/Ma...nd-earls-oil-cooler.aspx

Questions:

Since my hood is made of steel, and not aluminum, what changes in the process of cutting it?

Would I just use sheetmetal and rivet it to the sides of the louvers to keep the air from spilling out the sides?

Is there a way to treat the cuts so they do not rust? I live in the Midwest, and precipitation is a regular occurence.

The exhaust, with the turbo sit against the firewall. What are reasonable steps to get the hot air out from there? I think I saw where opening up the area by the cowl would not be a good idea.

Should I think of the ducting area as two sections, with the top of the intercooler as the divider? Would it make much difference if the bottom portion of the radiator gets less cool air that has gone through the intercooler?

Does the oil cooler need to be lower than the filler, but higher than the oilpan for proper flow? I am thinking of mounting it above the intercooler, but I am concerned that it will add more radiant heat.

Lastly, do manual transmissions get fluid coolers?

Thanks for any help provided.

spdracerut  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2015 2:34:28 AM(UTC)
spdracerut

Groups: Editors, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Welcome_Members

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There's no undertray that goes beneath the radiator and intercooler? That seems very odd...

For hood venting, you can also look into louvers.
Something like this:
http://www.hoodlouvers.com/

For the turbo in the back, the best strategy is probably to pump cooling air into that area. The Evo X uses a NACA duct in the middle of the hood. The 2015 Subaru STI uses air from the hood scoop, most of the air goes through the IC but some is bleed off to pump cooling air over by the turbo. For your case, I'd copy the Evo X method.
ar151666  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:18:05 AM(UTC)
ar151666

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I agree with spd, a small duct on the hood would be the best way to run some cool air by the turbo. Mini uses a small fan to pull air around the back of the engine but that seems a little odd to me. Tilting the back of the hood probably isn't the best way to achieve this as most times air isn't pulled out from under the hood. Look at the hood scoops on some muscle cars, the opening faces backwards to pull air in.

As far as ducting for the intercooler and radiator, I'd make fit as much of both of them as possible. Something like this is gonna be the best way, though it may not be entirely possible. Glad my car came with one stock!

UserPostedImage

Oil cooler shouldn't need to be located as such because it is pressurized oil that is running through it. If your worried about the old oil staying in it during an oil change or something, you'll never get all the old oil out anyways.

As for the trans cooler, I haven't seen any cars other than possible endurance race cars that would ever need one. It would require a pump with lines and a cooler. More trouble than its worth in most cases. A better fluid would be money well spent.

Definitely make some kind of splash shield or front splitter that extends to the axle or wheel well though. There's a reason all auto makers put these things on new cars. They help pull air out of the engine bay and direct air through the radiator once it passes through the bumper grills.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:24:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Would rather drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.